Ah, summer, I can almost taste it. It’s still the dead of winter here, but I’ll be back to Vancouver summer tomorrow. Which is the reason the blog has been so neglected the last couple of days. My dear husband is being left behind, and it was our five year anniversary, so for once something took precedence over animals in clothes… a rare occurence!
This is the kind of food I’m dreaming about right now. Winter is awesome, the perfect time for loading up on carbs and cheese and meat and other nuggets of deliciousness. But around this time you start to crave a change in season. It’s like a weight in the gut. Or is that just my ultra-tight pants?
I can’t wait to be back home with my nearest and dearest, eating fabulously fresh fruits and vegetables, enjoying every minute. The only tinge of sadness is that my dear husband won’t be there… but I’ll just have to eat for two! This is the perfect dressing for barbecued meats.
- 3 ½ cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 – 4 shakes Tabasco sauce
- Heat the oven to 175℃ (350℉).
- Toss the corn with the oil and salt and spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- While the corn is cooling, prepare the other ingredients. Toss everything together, season to taste and serve alongside grilled meats or enchiladas.