I’m a fan of the creamy cocktail. Perhaps they remind me of the Kahlua and milk I used to drink so avidly as a teenager. Or the creamy choco-tinis I graduated onto a little later. I think drinking alcohol disguised as dessert just makes me feel young again. Really young.
A few things have changed. These days I’m a bit of a one cream-laden cocktail girl. I strongly believe that if you are going to get queasy from drinking, it shouldn’t have anything to do with excess lactose consumption. Also, I’m not opposed to a little extra vodka — a drink should definitely taste like a drink.
These beauties are a particularly pleasing shade of pastel pink… perfection.
Adapted from Jamie Oliver
- 500 grams (1 pound) rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) white sugar
- Juice from ½ an orange
- 2 shots vodka
- ½ shot Galliano
- ½ shot heavy cream
- ½ milk
- Handful of ice cubes
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar and orange juice in a small pan and simmer, with the lid on, for about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer some more until you get a thick consistency.
- Transfer the rhubarb to a sieve placed over a bowl and drain. For the cocktail you want the juice, but you can save the pulp to eat with your morning yogurt.
- Put the vodka, Galliano, cream, milk, ice and two shots of the rhubarb liquid into a cocktail shaker. Strain into 2 cocktail glasses.