My brief hiatus from blogging has ended with me curled up in bed with my laptop at 6:30 on Saturday night. I am suffering the after effects of my birthday party last night. As if turning another year older wasn’t bad enough, every year the hangovers seem to get worse. Totally worth it.
I have a macaroni and cheese baking in the oven, and this salad to serve on the side. It’s a combination that makes for a super decadent meal which is exactly what is needed for a hangover of this magnitude. You can use any lettuce for this salad, or spinach as well, but I like butter lettuce best because it really lets the dressing scream for itself.
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn, washed and dried
- ½ cup almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¾ – 1 cup good fruity olive oil
- Flaky salt
- Prepare the lettuce and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, toast the almonds over low heat for a few minutes.
- Put the almonds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until ground. Add in the basil, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest and allow the processor to run while slowly adding the oil. Use enough oil that it is more dressing than pesto.
- Dress the leaves and garnish with a sprinkle of flaky salt.