Whenever we have avocados around my husband likes to halve them, fill the middles with globs of mayonnaise and eat them just like that. I’m all for enhancing fat with fat, but I like a little bit more flavour. This recipe from Nigel Slater’s Real Fast Food is the perfect thing. It feels like the kind of recipe that should be served in a darkened room, partly for ambiance and partly so that no one can see you eating it! I’m never quite sure what to serve this with. Bread? Green Salad? A defibrillator?
Adapted from Nigel Slater’s Real Fast Food
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
- Chopped parsley
- Fry the bacon in a shallow pan over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain off excess fat and then toss in the tomatoes, vinegar and olive oil. Stir in the mustard and allow to bubble for 1 minute.
- Halve, pit and peel the avocados. Slice into thick wedges and top with the bubbling dressing. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.