Today is my birthday and I am sitting in bed, sipping coffee brought to me by my husband and making pictures of animals in clothes. Um, what do they say about pigs in shit? I’m also trying to remember what birthdays were like before Facebook, when most people forgot about them. I recall one year where even my own mother forgot about my birthday. Now I’m getting birthday wishes from friends of friends. So there’s one reason not to hate Facebook.
My gorgeous friend Tiffany sent me this recipe the other day. I tried to conjure up a lovely cat in her honour, but I’m pretty sure the picture looks more bedraggled housewife than glamour puss.
Tiffany suggested the name 8 Fat Sausages for the dish. So, if your planning a “Stew and Porn” themed dinner party, might I suggest you put this on the menu?
- 8 fat sausages (good quality)
- 1 bottle VB (or other lager)
- 1 tin kidney beans (washed twice)
- 1 tin cannelloni beans (washed twice)
- 3 red onions
- 2 smallish carrots (sweet)
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tins of tin tomatoes crushed
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 2 splashes of Tabasco (more if you like it hot)
- 3 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 2-3 tablespoon of plain flour sifted
- 1.5 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt (I use Murray River pink salt)
- Heat the oven to 200℃ (400℉)
- Cook the sausages in a little olive oil, on a high heat, let them brown well, adding the VB slowly, do not add all of it. Remove from pan, Leave them to cool then slice in 1 cm slices
- Sauté onions, garlic, basil and thyme again in a little oil, or butter if you prefer. Throw in the sliced carrots and zucchini’s (you can also add Swiss brown mushrooms if you wish) cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add stock, then flour, sieve slowly into pan.
- Place your kidney and cannelloni beans into a casserole dish, add VB and the rest of your ingredients.
- Place in oven and cook for 2 hours.