I’m not a huge fan of bar nuts, especially peanuts, partly because I always end up eating too many of them. I like the concept though. A salty, protein-packed snack to both soak up the alcohol and encourage the drinking of it. Chickpeas, roasted until they are crunchy, are the perfect alternative to nuts, and you can eat so many more of them!
These are a great thing to put out for guests and they are awesome because they require no pre planning. Even a surprise guest can be sated in a manner of minutes. Just make sure to keep your pantry stocked with legumes and your freezer stocked with gin!
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Cumin or cayenne (or both)
- Heat the oven to 200℃ (400℉).
- Toss the with oil, a pinch of salt and a sprinkling of cumin or cayenne (or both).
- Lay the beans out on a baking sheet and roast for about 10-15 minutes until browned and crunchy.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with a glass of wine, a beer or a martini.