I must admit that although I really, really love eating these, the main impetus for posting this recipe was to make a picture of a Tasmanian devil on a horse. So I made two. Watching Tasmanian devils ride horses while eating cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dates would be a pretty excellent past time. Even better than roller derby.
These are perfect cocktail party food. Easy to make, delicious, alcohol absorbing. What more do you want?
makes 12 dates
- 12 large medjool dates, dried
- 115 grams (4 ounces) piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 6 thin slices of bacon, cut in half widthwise
- Heat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Use a bamboo skewer to push the pits out of the dates, or buy pitted dates, the choice is yours.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the parmesan into 12 small pieces, roughly the diameter of a pencil. You are going to put the cheese inside the dates, so judge the size from that.
- Stuff the cheese pieces into the pit holes of the dates.
- Wrap each date in bacon and place the dates seam-side down on a baking tray, piercing each with a toothpick to hold it in place.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the bacon is crispy. Careful! These are super hot when they come out of the oven, let them cool for about 5 minutes before serving.