One of the main reasons for starting this blog was to catalogue my favourite recipes, from now and my childhood, so I was super excited when I opened up an old cookbook of my mother’s the other day and this recipe fell out. We always had these cookies at Christmas time, they were my absolute favourite. My mother kept a small collection of recipes but this one was missing from the file so I thought it was gone for good.
These are simple icebox-style cookies with chocolate sprinkles and oatmeal and to me, they taste like the happiest of moments.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 egg whites
- chocolate shot (sprinkles)
- Heat oven to 165°C (325°F).
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla, flour, salt and oats and stir until combined.
- Shape into rolls (about three), wrap in plastic wrap and chill.
- Remove rolls from fridge. Brush with egg whites and roll in chocolate shot. Slice evenly into rounds about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden.