This salad has a total ladies-who-lunch vibe to it. If I had a group of rich housewives as friends I would totally serve this to them at our Tuesday afternoon Mah-jongg sessions. One has to aspire to something.
Adapted from Nick’s Fishmarket, Maui, Hawaii
- 1 heart of romaine, chopped into ribbons
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small Maui onion, diced (substitute white or red onion)
- 1/4 cup cooked shrimp
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg white, grated
- 2 tbsp roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp capers
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
Toss shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, onion and shrimp in a large bowl. Add avocado.
For dressing: mix red wine vinegar, mustard and pepper in a bowl, slowly whisk in olive oil to emulsify. Stir in egg whites and red pepper.
Pour dressing over salad and toss lightly to coat.
Garnish each portion with capers, cheese and green onions.