This salad has a wonderful variety of tastes and textures. The crisp, fresh romaine hearts and apples mix wonderfully with the richness of the walnuts and the creaminess of the cheese. The mint and scallions give an unexpected edge to the dressing.
Serve as a side dish with roasted meat or eat on it’s own with some crusty bread. Yum!
- 2 hearts romaine, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 packet goats cheese, like chevre, crumbled
- 2 pink lady apples sliced into thin pieces
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, sliced into chiffonade
- 1/3 cup scallions thinly sliced
Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat. Leave to cool.
Slice the apples very thin. If you are preparing ahead soak the apples in cold water with the juice from the remaining half of the lemon to keep them from browning.
Mix the white wine vinegar, mustard, honey, juice and zest together in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil to emulsify. Season to taste and stir in mint and scallions.
Put romaine, apples, goats cheese and walnuts in a large bowl. Drizzle in dressing and toss to coat.